Volleyball is one of the most famous non-contact group sports. Though the sport seems to be simple, it requires a lot of effort and practice to learn its sport-specific skills. Therefore, to be professionally competent in volleyball, you need to be consistent with training. Practicing variations in drills is the key element in gaming expertise in a particular sport. Below are some marvelous volleyball drills that you can easily implement in your volleyball training.
Russian Pepper drill
The main aim of the drill is to give players a thorough practice of necessary Volleyball skills. It includes hitting, setting, digging, and passing.
- There should be a minimum of three players for this drill.
- Assign each player the particular number or alphabet, i.e., A, B, and C.
- Player B will stand in between players A and C.
- All players will maintain a suitable distance of 3 feet or more, as per choice.
- Player A will pass the ball to player C by hitting it.
- Simultaneously player B will step back to avoid obstruction.
- Once the player C receives the ball, player C will pass the ball to player B.
- Therefore, Player B should be agile to move forward again in its previous position to receive.
- Once the player B receives the volleyball, he will again pass it to player C.
- Now player C will pass it to Player A. While player B will step back again.
- Once player A receives the ball this time, he will pass the volleyball to player B.
- Therefore, Player B should be active enough to step forward again to receive the pass.
- Now, player B will pass the ball again to the player And step back.
- This time Player A will pass the ball to player C.
- Repeat the above process from step 1. Players should exchange positions to gain equal expertise.
- The middle player (player B) will maintain the setter’s position in the entire drill.
Wall Block Drill
The drill aims to train the player to avoid touching the net after blocking the ball.
- The drill requires no partner, and the player can do it on its own.
- Mark a wall with measurement tape.
- Now player will jump up to the wall in blocking position. Make sure no part of your hand is touched to the wall.
- The player will also land in a blocking position.
Attack line Drill
The aim of this drill is to develop neuro-coordination and speed among volleyball players.
- Six to ten players can participate in this drill.
- Divide the players equally into two teams, namely A and B.
- Set each team on each side of the court’s attacking line and place the volleyball net in between.
- Makes sure players stand in a queue facing the net directly.
- Now hand over the ball to one player of team A.
- The player will pass the ball to any Team B player, making sure the ball should not brush the net.
- Right after the player passes the ball, he is supposed to run to the end line.
- After reaching, the player will touch the end line and return to the attacking line before the player of team B who has received the ball passes the back to its team.
- Team B, who has received the ball, can return the ball to any team A player without callout. He will also run and touch the end line coming back to the attacking line before team A passes back the ball.
- The drill will continue until the ball is in play and do not touch the ground.
The aim is to make players efficient at the skills of hitting, blocking, and setting.
- Seven to nine players can participate in this volleyball drill.
- One player will hold the setter’s position, and the rest of the players will divide themselves in evenly in two teams.
- Team A will stand on one side of the volleyball net while team B will stand on the other side of the net.
- Players of both the team will make lines in how each player is at the other player’s near end line.
- Setter will be standing on the hitter’s side closer to the net.
- The setter will then call out the specific hitter; meanwhile, the first blocker will come forward to come to the hitter.
- Then setter will pass the ball to the hitter. Hitter will ultimately aim the ball to the blocker. And blocker will then try his level best to block the ball.
- The drill between specific players will continue for at least 20 to 30 seconds.
- The players can interchange their positions to practice all skills like a hitter can exchange its position with a setter or blocker.
The aim of this drill is to polish the service skills of players along with passing and setting.
- The drill is suitable for four players at a time.
- A player will stand on one side of the net standing on the end line. Whereas the rest three players will stand on the opposite side of the volleyball net.
- One of the three players in-group will hold the position as setter while the other two players A and B, will stand at the court’s backside, near the end line.
- The server will serve the ball to player A.
- After receiving the player, A will pass the ball to the setter, and ten setters will pass the ball to the server again.
- Now the server will alternatively pass the ball to player B.
- After receiving, player B will pass the ball to the setter, and the setter will pass it to the server.
- Players should interchange their positions after completing five bouts in one position.
The player learns to block the volleyball individually as well as with a co-team player.
- Two pairs of players will perform this drill. In other words, four players are required to perform this drill.
- Each pair of players will stand on the opposite of the volleyball net.
- Players can perform this drill without a ball.
- All four players will simultaneously jump, maintaining a blocking position.
- Immediately after landing, each player will exchange the position with its partner player.
- The replacement is necessary after every block landing.
In a nutshell, you cannot have outstanding achievements without gain expertise in a particular sport. Similar is the case with Volleyball; you need to practice a lot with different variations and loads to win the game. Practicing above mentioned drills will improve sport specific skills like hitting, setting, passing, digging, and serving. All this together will surely declare you as a sound qualified Volleyball player.